LERWICK - SALE OF REGISTERED PEDIGREE SHETLAND PONIES
Under the Auspices of the Shetland Pony Stud-Book Society
To be held at
Shetland Rural Centre,
Staneyhill, Lerwick, Shetland, ZE1 0NA
Friday 1st October 2021 at 10:30am PROMPT
*Attention* Following a last minute decision by A&N Marts the Stud Books listed in the catalogue will now also be included in the Online Auction. The Stud Books are numbered 201 to 266 on the Online Auction, but they will be the first lots sold, before we begin the Pony Sale with lot 1. The sale of Stud Books will commence at 10.30am. Postage of these books can be arranged, but it will be the responsibilty of the Purchaser to Pay for and arrange the booking with the Post Office or their Carrier of Choice. We can also take these books down to Thainstone for collection on Monday at the Thainstone Pony Sale.
The Pony Sale will be conducted in Guineas
One Guinea = £1.05
( Stud Books will be sold in pounds sterling £'s)
VAT on Ponies this is dependant on the Seller being VAT Registered. The catalogue clearly displays the VAT Status of each pony.
Buyers must pay for their SHIPPING SPACE at the auction mart office at the time of purchase of ponies. The 2021 rates are as follows: Total Cost Lerwick Mart to Aberdeen Pier = £14.50 Plus Vat Total Cost Lerwick Mart to Thainstone = £26.50 Plus Vat
ADDITIONAL SHIPPING INFORMATION FOR ONLINE BUYERS
Please remember that it is the responsibility of the online buyer to arrange their own transport from the pier in Aberdeen for their pony/s onward journey. This transport needs to be ready to pick up the pony/s from the Aberdeen pier first thing on the morning of arrival from Shetland (weather permitting - Saturday 2nd October). Transport from Aberdeen pier to Thainstone mart can be arranged at time of payment in Lerwick.
Any Ponies that have been bought through the sale in Lerwick will be kept at the Thainstone lairage through until Monday the 4th October (Thainstone Pony Sale day) The Purchasers then need to have their onward transport organised and the ponies will have to be removed on the Monday.
If the Ponies need to stay a day or so longer then please contact Thainstone on this number (01467) 623710. and let the lairage know about your plans.
Full Payment of the Ponies and any extra charges are required on the day of sale. Card payment is preferred but BACS can also be done. We will accept cash, but in these COVID times and to protect the Marts Office Staff we prefer Card or BACS method.
Online Buyers Charge:
Online Buyers will incur an additional charge of 1% + VAT onto the Bid Price, this charge is dictated to us by the 3rd Party Online Platform.
Pony Transfer of Ownership
The 2021 Lerwick Shetland Pony Sale is being run under the auspices of the Shetland Pony Stud Book Society. This means that transfers of ownership will be processed on the day of the sale and the £20 transfer fee will be payable by the purchaser along with the sale price for the pony/ponies purchased.
All accepted bids are contracts and Once the Hammer is down are considered final and non withdrawable.
Online bidders are required to lodge a deposit of £100 prior to bidding. Deposits will be credited against any online purchases. Unused balances will be refunded after the sale. Note that refunds may take up to 5 days from the close of the sale.
ARRANGEMENTS FOR PONY SALE DAY The 2021 Lerwick Shetland Pony Sale is being run under the auspices of the Shetland Pony Stud Book Society.
This means that transfers of ownership will be processed on the day of the sale and the £20 transfer fee will be payable by the purchaser along with the sale price for the pony/ponies purchased.
There are still restrictions on numbers of people allowed into the mart.
Below we have tried to outline how we will be running the Pony Sale while continuing to keep everyone as safe as possible. We will continue monitoring the situation and will update you if/when any changes occur. Please visit our Facebook page for the most up to date information. Anyone who has been in contact with a positive COVID-19 case or has exhibited any COVID symptoms within the 14 days prior to the sale must not attend the mart.
Please wear a face covering and maintain 1 metre physical distancing.
Ponies to arrive NO LATER than 9am, with the exception of those travelling from Unst.
Sellers to wait in their vehicle until it is their turn to unload.
Sellers to unload ponies at the loading bay, on instruction from a PBSA representative.
Passports will be checked and ponies will be penned by an SLMG representative.
Once ponies are in the mart the SELLER ONLY or his/her representative may enter the pen to handle their ponies. No groups or families allowed.
The seller can take his/her ponies around the ring to be sold and advise the auctioneer of any reserve, but must leave the building immediately afterwards.
Any unsold ponies should be removed from the building immediately after leaving the ring unless the seller has more ponies to go through the ring.
There will be an opportunity to view the ponies prior to the sale, this will take place between 9.30am – 10.30am.
There will be a one way system in operation which must be strictly adhered to and please follow signage and adhere to 1 metre social distancing. A face covering must be worn and names and contact details will be required to comply with NHS test & protect policy. You will be able to re-enter the viewing area by following the one-way system as often as you like.
Buyers wishing to attend the mart must register prior to the day of the sale. There are only 51 places available in the ring and these will be allocated on a first come first served basis. 1 metre social distancing must be adhered to.
Call the SLMG office to register as a buyer, we would appreciate if you could register to bid before the day of the sale (Tel: 01595 696300).
Entry for buyers is through the fire door closest to the abattoir.
Collect your authorised buyer badge from admin staff on the day.
Buyer must SIGN IN & OUT of the mart on arrival and final departure.
Buyers must go to the office to pay and collect their passports.
Physical distancing must be observed at all times and hand sanitising/washing must be used on entry and exit.
Collection of purchased ponies. Buyers must not to enter the mart building, a SLMG representative will arrange for your purchase to be brought to the loading bay.
PURCHASE OF PONIES
Transfers of ownership will be processed on the day and the £20 transfer fee is payable by the purchaser on the day when the pony is paid for.
Registered buyers must go to sales office to pay and collect passports.
Online buyers, we would prefer to take payments over the phone but it is also possible, if local, to enter the mart after the sale is finished, to pay and collect your passport and pony.
Ponies can be collected after the sale is completed. Please wait outside for marts staff to help you. No-one is allowed into the mart penning area.
Face coverings must be worn at all times and 1 metre social distancing must be observed.
Go to -https://auction.thainstoneonline.co.uk/auctions and click on the sale you wish to buy from. (There is also a link from the viewing sale page.)
Click on the Bid on this Auction button to register CAFE The café is being run independently from the mart and there is no access to the sale ring or penning area from the café. Everyone is welcome to use the café subject to abiding by all physical distancing rules.
Microchips to be checked against passports by Pony Breeders of Shetland Association representatives on arrival. This will be done at the portacabin at the back of the mart before handing the pony over to the marts staff at the loading bay. It is the responsibility of the vendor or any person acting on his/her behalf to ensure that this is carried out. Passports will be collected by a member of the marts staff from the PBSA representatives.
Passports and microchips of all ponies will be checked by officials. Should a microchip be untraceable or passport incorrect, the pony will not be permitted to go through the ring.
No pony will be sold unless it has been entered into the sale adhering to the conditions of entry/guidelines.
Buyers are reminded that any ponies they purchase are at their risk at the fall of the hammer. No undertaking of the auctioneers or their servants to take charge of any lots after the sale or to forward them to their destination shall be held to impose upon the auctioneers any legal obligation.
Whilst every effort is made by PBSA & SLMG to ensure that the information given regarding pedigree, ownership, detail of colour and date of birth is correct, the responsibility remains with the prospective purchaser to verify these details. Liability for errors and omissions will not be accepted by the Pony Breeders of Shetland Association or Shetland Livestock Marketing Group. Pictures of lots can be viewed at https://auction.thainstoneonline.co.uk/auctions/info/id/142
Buyers must pay for their SHIPPING SPACE at the auction mart office at the time of purchase of ponies. The 2021 rates are as follows:
Total Cost Lerwick Mart to Aberdeen Pier = £14.50 Plus Vat
Total Cost Lerwick Mart to Thainstone = £26.50 Plus Vat
ADDITIONAL SHIPPING INFORMATION FOR ONLINE BUYERS
Please remember that it is the responsibility of the online buyer to arrange their own transport from the pier in Aberdeen for their pony/s onward journey. This transport needs to be ready to pick up the pony/s from the Aberdeen pier first thing on the morning of arrival from Shetland (weather permitting - Saturday 2nd October). Transport from Aberdeen pier to Thainstone mart can be arranged at time of payment in Lerwick. Lairage can be arranged at Thainstone by contacting them directly Tel. (01467) 623710.
CONDITIONS/ GUIDELINES FOR SALE OF PEDIGREE SHETLAND PONIES
1. Once entered it is understood that ponies will be forward for the sale. Any vendor withdrawing stock from the sale without a valid reason or vet’s certificate will be fined £100 per pony. If the fine is not paid, then the vendor will be unable to enter ponies into subsequent sales.
2. Ponies must not be removed from pens without the owner or his/ her representative being present.
3. At all Sales, if the owner is not present in person, a representative must be nominated in advance who will be responsible for the ponies.
4. All stock must be registered with the Shetland Pony Stud-Book Society.
5. The minimum age of foals to be sold is eighteen weeks on the day of the Sale even if being sold at foot. The foal’s exact date of birth must be stated on the entry form.
6. It must be emphasised that foals, unless being sold at foot, must be living independently, weaned and able to eat hard food.
7. No ponies will be accepted for sale if they have undergone any form of surgical procedure e.g. castration, within 4 weeks of the sale date.
8. Owners who have had ponies suffering from an infectious disease within six weeks of the Sale must not present any ponies for sale. Any ponies showing symptoms of an infectious disease such as coughing, swollen glands, high temperature or a muco-purulent nasal discharge (snotty nose) will be excluded from the Sale.
9. Any ponies over the age of eighteen years must have a Vet’s certificate, dated the day before the Sale, stating that the pony is fit to travel. The pony must only be vetted the day immediately prior to the Sale. If no such certificate is received by the Auctioneer, the pony must not be permitted to go forward for sale.
No ponies over 20 years of age will be accepted for sale.
10. Progeny will not be accepted from mares unless the mare is at least 47 months old on the date of foaling.
11. If a mare is in foal, it is assumed it is to a stallion registered with SPS- BS. If in foal to a stallion not registered with SPS-BS, the progeny will not be eligible for registration with the Society. The covering stallion’s name and registration number and date(s) of covering must be clearly stated on the form. As from 1 January 2022 all foals registered with the SPS-BS must have a DNA profile of the sire completed. Buyers need to be aware of this when purchasing an in foal mare.
12. In the interests of welfare, lactating mares will not be accepted for sale, nor will mares due to foal within eight weeks or less of the date of the sale. Fillies younger than 3 years old that have been running with a stallion will not be accepted for sale.
13. Entry forms MUST be completed in full or they will not be accepted
14. If ponies are catalogued, as for sale due to stud dispersal, it is assumed that the ponies will be sold and not taken home unsold.
15. In the interests of welfare, working ponies of four years old or over only may be clipped.
16. Passports & microchips of all ponies will be checked by officials. Should a microchip be untraceable or passport incorrect, the pony will not be permitted through the ring.
17. A pony must not be permitted to be presented for sale unless a checked passport has been received by the Auctioneer’s Office prior to the Sale. The Passport must then be passed to the new owner for the onward journey.
18. Transfers of ownership will be processed on the day and the £20 transfer fee is payable by the purchaser on the day when the pony is paid for.
19. If a pony is to be exported, the purchaser is responsible for arranging an International Pony Movement Certificate and a fee of £50 is payable to the SPS-BS. International Transfer (IPMC) forms and assistance will be available from June Brown on the day of the sale. Any vendor selling a pony abroad must remain at the mart until the appropriate paperwork is signed.
20. Entire males aged 2 years and over must be bitted and it is recommended that they display a stallion badge on their bridle.
This sale includes an online buying facility courtesy of Aberdeen & Northern Marts, Online Auction. If you would like to sign up to bid online then please use the following link -https://auction.thainstoneonline.co.uk/auctions If you wish to bid on a pony you must be registered. A refundable fee is charged for signing up to bid as a security measure against bogus bidders. An online buyer’s fee of 1% plus VAT is added to the price of ponies. For queries contact Alan Donald, Aberdeen & Northern Marts, 01467 623753.
PLEASE CONSIDER TRANSPORT COSTS AND LOGISTICS BEFORE BIDDING. Make sure you have thought about and organised your pony/s journey from Shetland to Aberdeen. The authorities in Aberdeen will not keep your pony/s overnight, it is essential that you have the journey home fully organised also. We can assist you with, and charge for, the journey from Shetland to Aberdeen pier or Thainstone. Any onward journey is your sole responsibility.
The 2021 Lerwick Registered Pedigree Shetland Pony Sale has been generously supported by: NORTHLINK FERRIES
VAT - Notice to all EU buyers
Please note that HMRC are enforcing standard VAT on all purchases made in the UK
until adequate proof of goods being exported is provided.
Adequate proof is detailed as:
1. Written order from your customer which shows their name, address and EC VAT
number and the address where the goods are to be delivered.
2. Copy sales invoice showing customer’s name, EC VAT number, a description of
the goods and an invoice number.
3. Date of departure of goods from your premises and from the UK.
4. Name and address of the haulier collecting the goods.
5. Registration number of the vehicle collecting the goods and the name and
signature of the driver and, where the goods are to be taken out of the UK by a
different haulier or vehicle, the name and address of that haulier, that vehicle
registration number and a signature for the goods.
6. Route, for example, Channel Tunnel, port of exit.
7. Copy of travel tickets.
8. Name of ferry or shipping company and date of sailing or airway number and
9. Trailer number (if applicable).
10. Full container number (if applicable).
11. Name and address for consolidation, groupage, or processing (if applicable).
Until the above criteria are met Standard rate VAT must be applied to all purchases.
On submission of the above, VAT will be refunded to the purchaser.
Please download our guide for further information.
Shetland Livestock Marketing Group
In association with
Aberdeen & Northern Marts
at Shetland Rural Centre,
Shetland. ZE1 0NA
Livestock Entries and Lerwick Sale Queries on 01595 696300
The Full information of the Breeds,Sex,Ages and Assured Status including the Weight Screen will be shown within the Video Window when you connect to the Auction.
There is Audio and You will hear the Auctioneer Selling.
The Bidding Screen and Button will relay the price for you to make your Bids.
Remember to Bid You will have to Register with the Online Auction as an Online Buyer (No Deposit Required)
Please note: there will be an additional 1% + VAT added to the Purchase Price, this cost is for using the third Parties Online Application
for HELP with Registration and on using the Online Auction tel: 01467 623704 the IT team.
For Payment and the Floating Home of your Animals bought Online.
Please contact our Shetland Office on 01595 696300
Our Staff will then ensure your Stock and Passports get home to you as per normal sale day practice.
Shetland Livestock Marketing Group
in Association with
Aberdeen & Northern Marts